Sunday, 2024-05-12, 6:04 PM
Welcome Guest | RSS
[TheD]The Descendants
Main | Paradoxes :D - Forum | Registration | Login
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: h@†3, MrTiny  
Forum » Members Area » Chat » Paradoxes :D (If you think of a paradox then post it !!!!)
Paradoxes :D
ZorockDate: Sunday, 2009-07-26, 10:39 AM | Message # 1
Major general
Group: Moderators
biggrin I wanted to create this thread because I am fascinated by paradoxes happy
I think paradoxes are important training for a person to understand certain things.

You can post any paradox you think of yourself or if you find a really good one on the internet tongue

Here is mine:: "Unexpected Hanging"

A judge tells a condemned prisoner that he will be hanged at noon on one weekday in the following week but that the execution will be a surprise to the prisoner. He will not know the day of the hanging until the executioner knocks on his cell door at noon that day. Having reflected on his sentence, the prisoner draws the conclusion that he will escape from the hanging. His reasoning is in several parts. He begins by concluding that the "surprise hanging" can't be on a Friday, as if he hasn't been hanged by Thursday, there is only one day left - and so it won't be a surprise if he's hanged on a Friday. Since the judge's sentence stipulated that the hanging would be a surprise to him, he concludes it cannot occur on Friday. He then reasons that the surprise hanging cannot be on Thursday either, because Friday has already been eliminated and if he hasn't been hanged by Wednesday night, the hanging must occur on Thursday, making a Thursday hanging not a surprise either. By similar reasoning he concludes that the hanging can also not occur on Wednesday, Tuesday or Monday. Joyfully he retires to his cell confident that the hanging will not occur at all. The next week, the executioner knocks on the prisoner's door at noon on Wednesday — which, despite all the above, will still be an utter surprise to him. Everything the judge said has come true.
biggrin

Those who underestimates themselves shall stay in misery where they belong.

Steam ID: dragon_of_doom

AnimalDate: Sunday, 2009-07-26, 2:00 PM | Message # 2
Sergeant
Group: Clan Friends
heh, i like that smile
Much more simple:
Time travel:
somone who travels into the past and kills his grandfather can't be born and therefore can never kill his grandfather

btw, in fact, the prisoner can be executed at every day, because after his reasoning he doesnt expect to be executed at any day, so its a surprise in any case

Message edited by Animal - Sunday, 2009-07-26, 5:06 PM

ZorockDate: Monday, 2009-07-27, 11:38 AM | Message # 3
Major general
I know smile But I still like that paradox biggrin
And, It depends on how far back in time he travels wink Lets say he is 25 years old and his grandfather is then 80 years old. He travels 5 years back in time and then he will still live wink But I know what you mean tongue

If a man has 100 Dollars and he gets 1 dollar more, then he doesn't become rich. If you continue this he will never become rich no matter how many dollars he gets wink

Message edited by Ateist - Monday, 2009-07-27, 11:42 AM

HakkenDate: Monday, 2009-07-27, 2:19 PM | Message # 4
Colonel
Group: Member
The paradox of grandfather works only if we go back to time before our dad/mum is born.

There are just 10 types of pealpe. Thoose who understands binary and thoose who don't.

HellDate: Thursday, 2009-07-30, 6:45 AM | Message # 5
Colonel
Kinda nice paradox:

"Protagoras Paradox":

The Problem:

Protagoras, an ancient Greek philosopher, gave law lessons to a student who agreed to pay after he won his first case. But the student did not get clients, so Protagoras sued him.

The Paradox:

Protagoras believes he will win because:
1. If the court sides with him, the student will have to pay.
2. If he loses, then his student would have won his first case and will therefore have to pay anyway.

Student believes the complete opposite:
1. If the court sides with him, then he will not have to pay.
2. If the court sides with Protagoras, then he would not have won his first case and therefore, will not pay.

I am your road to HELL xD

ZorockDate: Friday, 2009-07-31, 11:04 PM | Message # 6
Major general
Indeed that is nice dry But I think that the greek philosopher wins this paradox, since its the loser in a trial which will have to pay for the winner. And if the student wins he gets money from the philosopher which he will the pay him back with because of the lessons smile So its the philosopher who wins in my logic sense tongue

HellDate: Saturday, 2009-08-01, 3:40 AM | Message # 7
Colonel
But some ppl can say on the contrary tongue paradox, ftw!

MrTinyDate: Wednesday, 2009-08-05, 11:07 PM | Message # 8
Clanleader
Group: Administrators
i likz piez...

Born In Darkness. Sworn To Justice.
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.

AlnitakDate: Saturday, 2009-08-08, 0:13 AM | Message # 9
Major general
Group: Member
Quote (MrTiny)
i likz piez...
, I prefer ice pies, mmm.

You can run but you can´t hide!

ZorockDate: Saturday, 2009-08-08, 10:51 PM | Message # 10
Major general
Here is a nice paradox..

You eat a pie.. then you shit a pie and you are thinking.. Did I just eat that? tongue

HellDate: Sunday, 2009-08-09, 4:27 AM | Message # 11
Colonel
lol Ateist biggrin xD

ZorockDate: Thursday, 2009-08-13, 8:23 PM | Message # 12
Major general
Another 2 paradoxes

If you love to hate, then you dont really love since you hate.

again, if you hate hating then why hate at all?

HellDate: Thursday, 2009-08-13, 8:33 PM | Message # 13
Colonel
omg, these paradoxes make me crazy wacko xD

TuralyonDate: Thursday, 2009-08-13, 9:38 PM | Message # 14
Major
A few paradoxes ... hm
-If God is allmighty ... can he create a very huge rock, that he cannot lift?
-I always lie
-You give a turtle a head start in a race (about 100 meters), than you start running, when you reach 100 meters, the turtle will be on 105 meters ... that means you're still behind her. When you reach 105 meters, the turtle will still be in front of you .. when you reach that position where turtle was before, the turtle will still be in front of you ... so therefore, the turtle is always in front of you when you give her a head start. Yet by common sense we know that practical any one could.
-I don't know what a paradox is
-If a man goes back in time and kills himself as a baby, he never would have grown up, which means he wouldn't be able to go back in time to kill himself. This means he would still be alive, so he *would* grow up, and go back in time to kill himself. (but as we know in reality, time travelling will never be avaliable - and simply how I know that for sure? Well, let's just say I read a lot on internet and listen less to tv)

Added (2009-08-13, 9:38 Pm)
---------------------------------------------
Oh oh ... I forgot my favourite one (appart from the one about God)
-What happens if an unstoppable bullet hits the unmovable pillar? smile

Your resoning is excellent -- it's only your basic asumptions that are wrong.

AnimalDate: Friday, 2009-08-14, 11:51 AM | Message # 15
Sergeant
Quote (Turalyon)
I always lie

This is a very old paradox, in its original form it is "A Cretan says that all Cretans lie"; its made by the Cretan Epimenides in the 6. or 7. century b.c.

oh ,and about time... well, after Einstein's theory of relativity it is possible theoretically, at least into the future, not into the past.

Forum » Members Area » Chat » Paradoxes :D (If you think of a paradox then post it !!!!)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright TheD.Clan© 2024